Monday 4 April 2011

Monophthongs & Diphthongs

I don't understand how it's so easy to learn the alphabet when you're three or four, but it's so hard to learn the international phonetic alphabet now that I'm 18. Granted, there are 44 phonemes, but some of them are just impossible to remember. I'm sure I could have designed better symbols for most of the diphthongs and monophthongs. I do like those words though, especially because they have four consonants next to each other and that amuses my linguistically trained mind. I've made revision cards for the exam tomorrow, and most of it is sinking in, just not the symbols I need to learn. I'm going into uni in a bit to meet Alicia for a revision session, so hopefully we'll come up with a witty way of remembering them. I think I preferred revising for Chemistry A level. That's not good...

1 comment: