Friday 17 February 2012

The Merge

I've been out of touch with my writing lately. I think with everything that's happened, I've had so much to think about that I just haven't been thinking about writing. But I don't want to leave the piece I'm working on, I want to get back into it. I was thinking the other day about how I couldn't think of any ideas. I suppose when I was younger and I used to write so much more than I do now, I got so many ideas because I had insomnia, and in those silent awake hours after midnight I had nothing better to do in the dark than think about my stories. Now, to combat the insomnia I have the television on in the background as I fall asleep, to stop myself from thinking too much as I used to. But this has stopped my thinking time. So last night when the disc reached its end I didn't get out of bed to put another in the DVD player. I just let the silence play out around me, and began to think about Dylan, my main character. But my thinking was still plagued by the thoughts related to my Dad. But then the two seemed to merge. And I thought about merging the two, and it seemed to work. So today I sat down to write, and I've written nearly 1,500 new words already. And as well as being beneficial to the continuation of my story, I actually think writing about the same event in Dylan's life too will benefit me. The reason I've started blogging again lately is that I can look about on this significant event in my life and see how I was feeling about it at certain times. And now, through Dylan, I can write out my feelings about what happened and I'll be able to look back on that and know how I was doing. They say the best writing comes from experience. So why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment