Friday 27 January 2012

Words

Writing isn't a thing that can be forced. Writing comes when it wants to. I've been struggling to write 250 words for my coursework, but in the meantime I've written probably a thousand words in things I want to write: my twitter feed, personal writing, here. It can't be forced. If you don't want to write about a certain topic, if it isn't something you enjoy, the words just won't come. You have to tease them out, make the writing something you want to do, in any way you can, so the words don't feel forced. Words are delicate, fragile beings. They need tender loving care and attention. They want to stay with you, they don't want to be set free unless they are happy in their surroundings, you can't let them go until you're sure you've used them in the right way, said the right thing. Words are funny things.

No comments:

Post a Comment