Saturday 17 November 2012

Progression

I'm writing this on a train. I was thinking about how much things have changed in such a short time. In July I fell apart and you and the people at Stump Lane helped to patch me back together. In August I developed a fear of the outside world. In September I went back to uni, unwillingly, and felt uneasy. I hovered at the student office and avoided people. Then in my first life writing class we were asked to write a piece on how we might introduce ourselves on a social networking site for instance. Mine was so depressing. Only a paragraph but deep stuff. I believe the first line was: 'Frankie, Fuckup, Fatherless and Falling Apart.' I refused to read it out but Vesna made me read the first line. Then I shrunk into myself and said nothing more for the next two hours. I wanted to cry. But last week I read 1,500 words about my life, about Stump Lane. And I didn't hesitate, didn't get embarrassed and didn't want to hide away afterwards. She said it was excellent. I was told it read like a novel, Andrew said he knew I'd be very successful one day. And they didn't judge me. Things have changed for the better. I hope I'm getting better at letting you in, I certainly feel better in myself. In September I never would've been able to read that sort of thing about myself. At first I thought the life writing would hurt me, that it would leave me dwelling on things that could have been, but I think it's helping me. Anyway, I'll upload what I wrote and read out when I get back to Ktown, can't right now as I'm on a train. Change is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment