Monday 26 March 2012

Chuffing Poetry

You know what, okay, I'm going to tell my good news because I think I am actually happy about it.
Basically I got a pretty good mark (okay the best in the year) for my poetry module and a certain poet I am friendly with is interested in helping me put together a collection with a view to publishing. Which is quite exciting, in fact, I have a meeting tomorrow about my writing career. Anyway, I've known this for a few weeks now, and was umming and aahing over the whole thing because, let's be honest, poetry isn't really my thing. In fact I kind of hate it. So much that I actually remember tweeting when I submitted the work for the poetry module 'That beautiful moment when you can throw your anthology of poems across the room and know you never have to pick it up again'. Ha. So really.. I appreciated what an amazing opportunity it was, but I wasn't sure it was really for me. For the most part I was just being miffed as to why I can't be good at something I enjoy. Sod's law innit.

Anyway. For this meeting tomorrow said poet requested that I bring what I'd been working on since we last met. Which, obviously, is nothing because I hate poetry. So I figured, cos I quite like this chap, that I would force out some poetry, and actually it's kind of really easy. I've just written two villanelles and another six stanza poem. Took a couple of hours. So I figured, if he likes these tomorrow, I might as well give this whole poetry business as whirl because if it makes me money, it sounds like a plan. And then, if I do actually get a poetry collection published, then my name would be out there if I then wanted to publish a novel. So, I'll give you an update on events after tomorrow. Now I must go and work on my 'I love poetry it's so fascinating' face.

No comments:

Post a Comment