Monday 8 November 2010

Postsecret 7/11/10

Oopsie, late again! I have been so busy doing my uni work I've missed two days worth of blogging. So it's catch up time. I haven't even had time to look at the Postsecrets this week, so I'm going to do that now, and pick my secret of the week. Check this week's Postsecrets out by clicking here!!

Firstly, I'm not a twin and I never have been, so this isn't really my secret. But before I was born, my mum had a miscarriage, so I would have had an older brother or sister. She also had another miscarriage after I was born, so I would have had another younger brother or sister too. I think this is probably why I've never felt comfortable being the oldest child. I think I wouldn't have felt so separated from my brothers if there had been five of us; I might have had a connection with unborn brothers or sisters that I don't have with my younger brothers. I wouldn't say that I resent my unborn siblings but I do feel sad that I never got to meet them. So that's my secret for this week, interpreted in my own little way.

So this is a secret from September 2005, which incidentally is around the time I started self harming. At the beginning I was really ashamed of my scars; I'd wear long sleeves, long gloves, even leg warmers on my wrists sometimes. But with time I grew more used to them, and now I can look at them as diary entries, instead of just scars. They all have meaning, I know what caused each one, they all tell a different story and remind me what I've been through. I'm not saying that I'm glad that I have them, for years I wanted a skin transplant on my arm to cover them up. I've just grown to be more confident in myself, and I can go out without long sleeves these days. A few people have asked me about them at uni, and more than one person has said how brilliant it is that I don't feel that I have to hide myself because of them. So this was my secret, but isn't anymore. Yay for confidence!!

No comments:

Post a Comment